splashw
PC Specification: XP sp3

not working hardware acceleration

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:45 pm

hi,

I'm evaluating Splash PRO as an alternative to various other players. The problem is that my cpu is maxed out and the hardware acceleration is definitively not working.
This laptop has a core 2 duo with an gm45 / 4500hd / mobile 4 (whatever Intel likes to call it) gpu. This gpu is on the list of supported hardware. XP sp3 was updated with the june 2010 directx 9 runtimes. The graphics driver is the original dell provided driver, Intel GM45/GE45/GS45 Integrated Graphics, v.6.14.10.5029, A07 . Dell doesn't have a more recent driver and the newer intel driver doesn't want to install since it's a dell. The windows performance slider is set to maximum performance.
Splash PRO mentions that hardware acceleration is available and in the setting there's a checkbox labeled intel clearvideo.
I'm trying to play a h.264 encoded mts stream with an average bitstream rate of 16mbps. But when playing both cores are fully used, from an idle state of less than one percent.

Can anybody help with this.

PS I think the pricing is acceptable, but the hardware acceleration should work of course
Thanks,

Wes

user82
PC Specification: Q6600,Ati HD-4850

Re: not working hardware acceleration

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 pm

do you have a mediainfo from the file? perhaps its simply a bad encode

Helios
Mirillis Team

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 am

Hi splashw,

generally we recommend newest GPU drivers, in your case newest drivers provided by Intel.
There are some free tools you can use to check your actual DXVA configuration.
If the tool says HW acc. is working fine, then it could be a problem with the file. Have you tried other files? MPEG2, VC1, other H.264?

regards,

splashw

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 am

hi,

thanks you both for your answers. The file appears to be ok, it plays in both vlc and splash pro. The load in VLC is 50%-60% and in splash pro it's 100%.
I'll try to force the newer intel drivers onto the machine.
Can you recommend me a tool to check for dxva?
I've read elsewhere that the 4500 gpu and xp sp3 did NOT support dxva, but these post are quite old from 2008 and 2009. But perhaps this is no longer true.
Can somebody at least confirm that Splash PRO can use the hardware of the 4500 / gm45 under xp sp3?
What version number of the intel drivers are you using?

Thank you.

Helios
Mirillis Team

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 pm

splashw wrote: Can somebody at least confirm that Splash PRO can use the hardware of the 4500 / gm45 under xp sp3?
Sorry for misunderstanding,
As far, as I know, Intel supports only MPEG2 on XP.
splashw wrote: Can you recommend me a tool to check for dxva?
DXVAChecker

Could you please specify your CPU frequency?
and some more detailt about the file:
-is it from camcorder? model?
-progressive/interlaced?
-resolution?

Are you using Motion2?

splashw

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't have the machine at hand at the moment. So cannot give you any answers to your questions.

But am I right that splash pro CANNOT use hardware acceleration for decoding h.264 and/or vc-1 on a gm45 / gma 4500hd and XP sp3? If that's true then please change your system requirements as soon as possible, because it currently states that it does.

I'll try the dxvachecker. Is there anything specific I should look for? How can I see that it supports dxva?

Thank you for your time.

Helios
Mirillis Team

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm

splashw wrote: But am I right that splash pro CANNOT use hardware acceleration for decoding h.264 and/or vc-1 on a gm45 / gma 4500hd and XP sp3?
If you find a driver with support for those, then it CAN.
splashw wrote: I'll try the dxvachecker. Is there anything specific I should look for? How can I see that it supports dxva?
just 'print screen' the firts tab, paste in 'paint', save and paste in the forum.

regards,

Return to “Splash PRO”